Saturday, August 28, 2010

Items of Note

In conjunction with some absolutely lovely wall space, the gallery at which my show will be up has also given me free rein of their front window. The moment I was told I'd have a window display, I started (a) dancing around in excitement, and (b) planning out the design.

Due to the Very Victorian nature of the show, the window, as it currently stands in my head, is starting to look like a deliciously jumbled, curiosity-full exhibit fit for a Victorian museum. Since November is approaching ever so quickly, I'm starting to amass a collection of potential window-items (and gain inspiration from some of the items - and displays - in the antique stores on my block).

Here are some items of note that I've accumulated thus far (some of these have been decorating my apartment -and past abodes - for years already. Hooray for curated clutter!):



Moth carcass found on cottage windowsill (currently gracing one of my typesetting drawers).



Butterfly who perished tragically in the windshield wipers of our car many years ago (with beautiful but rickety brooch).



Seagull skull, found at cottage.



Mystery skull - maybe from a tiny carnivore?



Harold Rooster Jr. III, esq, my glorious puffer fish friend.



A dress that once belonged to my mom (that has a beautiful patina of age that makes it look much older than it is), and a very circus-eqsue shirt, found at a junk shop on St. Clair West.

No comments: