Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Poster Inspiration




I apparently can't stop adding to my to-do list. First it was a whole passel of new 3D projects (freaky little plush things in jars!), then the idea of painting a few 4" x 6" 'cabinet cards' to go with some of the characters, and now it's a hand-drawn, watercoloured poster for the whole show, to go in the front window display.

See, when I was at Wolfitt's art shop on Queen West on my lunch break yesterday afternoon, the (super high-quality, usually WAY out of my price range) Aquarelle watercolour paper blocks were 40% off, meaning I was able to purchase a 36 x 51cm block and NOT cry over the bill.

The size of this thing completely intimidates me - as I was walking away from the store, I realized that its long side is just over HALF A METRE in length. Then I eyed it suspiciously and asked it if it was going to be nice to me when I start attempting to fill its vast expanse of white space. I found its lack of reply kind of ominous, but I'll overcome my issues and tackle the thing nevertheless.

Now I'm trawling Google Images looking for some inspiration for the Farther's Freaks Official (massive, ginormous, elephantine) Show Poster. Found some good stuff, like this one:



And these:





I look forward to getting a chance to get some sketches on paper - my summer's been so busy it's hard to find large expanses of time in which I can properly immerse myself in art-stuff. Eek. On the bright side, I'm one of those people who works best under pressure. Hope that doesn't just apply to essays and work projects!

No comments: